WE CARE (March 16th, 2020)
During these uncertain times, there are some certainties which we hope will calm the frayed nerves.
1. We are each responsible for our own wellbeing. Keep updated by the public health units in your city, province and country. Here are the links and we encourage you to check them regularly for news, Undoubtedly, you will have questions and updates on the links below will answer most of them so that you don't have to tie up telephone lines to these important health organizations in our community. We don't want you to be unnerved by the message "We are currently experiencing significant call volume on our phone lines" when you call. They all have excellent Q&A sections.
- Local: https://www.healthunit.com/news/novel-coronavirus
- Provincial: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus
- National: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health.html
2. We at CCI will do what we can to help you stay healthy by following the recommendations put forth by the Public Health Unit, because we care.
1. Make sure you check updates here on our website and on Facebook for changes in our events. For example, these postponements have been made,
i. the March 24th event on Reserve Fund Studies: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly has been postponed. As soon as we are a little more confident that we are protecting you and our presenters as best as possible we will reschedule.
ii. The ACMO/CCI-London Conference schedule for May 8 has been postponed. We are looking at a July 10th date at this time.
2. Check the City of London website before going out – closures and cancellation notices locally will be posted. You can also link to the above public health agencies from this link.
3. Your managers and boards will keep you updated on community events, so please read each communication carefully.
4. Your professional and business suppliers will be in touch with important information about their offices and hours. Please know that everyone has the same concern for their employees and clients and understand that safety for all must be our motto.
5. Check out our CCI website for updates and Facebook for interesting articles and more, including some very interesting activities for your children.
6. Be careful – while we are all doing our best to remain healthy, the fraudsters are at work. Don't get scammed.
7. To help you pass the time, crank up the music – sing and dance to your favourite tunes. Find amusing items on FB and Instagram. Laughter is the best medicine.
8. To help you and little ones if they are in your care, post this to help them.
9. Help small local businesses by shopping local. Help them stay in business.
10. Thank all of our heroes who are front line and working round the clock through all of the difficult circumstances – hospital staff, those working to ensure we have food to purchase, neighbours who are helping us through the difficult times and the list goes on. Kindness is within all of us and we can all share our kindness with our neighbours and others who might need a little help to get through these difficult times.
11. From the World Health Organization, you can find a number of help posters, such as coping with stress:
and so important for us all:
COVID-19 and Condominiums
from Cohen Highley
From the Administrator: We are always grateful for information shared by our members, especially at this time when there are questions and concerns in the community and the country. Some of your questions may be answered in this bulletin.
The following notice was received today (March 17th, 2020) from the law firm, Cohen Highley LLP. We share it with you. COVID-19 is creating anxiety among our communities. The content herein will assist boards and managers to be aware that there is help out there. Please consult with condominium legal counsel as issues come up. You may also contact the writers below for assistance.
It's been busy times these last months as we completed our 2-day Condominium Course; the December 3rd Lunch and Learn "Just Stop the Water” and the January 21st Seminar "Uncertain Ground Rule Enforcement and Nuisance; published our 2nd edition of the CCI Review and the 2020 Professional Service & Trades Directory. They were put into the mail at the end of January (a little late with apologies). Please make sure you view the directory of members on the website as updated membership has occurred since the publication was released. We will update it regularly so that you have the benefit of additional expertise as you consider upcoming projects. The link to the online Directory is here.
We are so grateful to all the volunteers who are on the CCI Board of Directors for their time and expertise and to those out in the communities who help us out and who are doing an amazing job of attending to and solving day to day issues that come up. Check out the Chapter Communiqué in our next publication of the CCI Review for more information on events.
So far, so good!
When is weather not a topic of conversation during the winter months? It hasn't been too bad, comparatively speaking, and we've been able to get out and about. We didn't get off scot-free though - water issues are always and continue to be challenging. We do thank our snow removal crews though for swiftly attending to the safety of the residents and properties in the condominiums across the region. We also thank all those who participated in assisting when water ruined any day.
THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING
Very recently (January 31st to February 2nd) we shared our story "Coast to Coast... we are your condo connection!" at the Lifestyle Homeshow in the Agriplex of the Western Fair District. Our CCI Directors and some of our very supportive friends were there to meet, greet and share information with condominium owners, residents and the many exhibitors.
The talent of the exhibitors who shared such a wide range of expertise is inspiring, both for owners and for boards/managers, and we can hope to build on our membership listing of skill for you to use as your needs arise. We so appreciate the time they shared with us at the show.
When searching out professionals, trades and experts in any field, we recommend that you view their website to consider all of the services they provide, to meet with them to ensure they are a good fit for your property, and to check for references. While we welcome all to our membership on your behalf, you are entrusted with these tasks.
INSPIRE US WITH YOUR SUGGESTIONS, PHOTOS
It is important to us to address whatever issues that arise in your communities or that you may have an interest in for future planning. Please share with us so we can address them, be it in a seminar or a publication. You are the inspiration that we welcome.
As we progress through the year, we are also happy to receive pictures of your properties/projects or other photos you would like to share with us for our Facebook page, Instagram or future publications, including next year’s Professional & Service Trades Directory. Please send them to be at email@example.com.
HOW TO REGISTER/RSVP FOR LOCAL EVENTS
Information on events, including flyers with specific information for each event, is posted on the website as soon as the organizers of the Education Committee have finalized the topic, description, and presenters for the event. If you are reading this, feel free to share the posted flyers with colleagues and owners who may have an interest in the content. We look forward to seeing you.
For any Seminar, simply email your RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name and company/condo plan # and cc your manager where there is one. Your RSVP will assist with setup for the event. Where you find that you are unable to attend a seminar, no fee will be assigned. Where you may have found that you neglected to RSVP to a seminar, do not let that stop you from coming out. You are welcome to come ahead and sign in at the event.
For any Lunch & Learn: as food is involved, your RSVP is absolutely required by the due date noted on the flyer. Your acceptance of the invitation can be forwarded to email@example.com with a cc to your manager where there is one. Please note however, where a registrant for any Lunch & Learn has not cancelled within 5 days of the event or does not attend the event, no refund or credit will be issued and the cost of the event will be invoiced.
We may take photographs or video recordings of individuals during CCI events or meetings. These photographs and/or video recordings are property of CCI London. An individual’s picture, name and the captions referred to below may be used indefinitely by CCI London or anyone authorized by it, including but not limited to the National Offices of CCI, in all materials pertaining to their business and/or the promotion of the CCI or condominium living.
The photographs may be cropped and re-sized as necessary to fit pre-defined formats and used in all forms of communications in any media, including but not limited to publicity, exhibitions, books, DVDs, television and web/digital media presentations.
Since participation in CCI London events and meetings is voluntary, individuals waive any payments or compensation for the use of photographs and video recordings.
CCI LEGISLATIVE NEWSFLASH
The Legislative Committee of CCI has been producing new Newsflash eblasts related to legislative change in the province. They cover various topics and are NEW to our website. We are confident you will find them informative.
THE CCI REVIEW IS NOW DIGITAL
Increased production/distribution costs of our publications and as suppliers continue a gradual move from traditional print advertising to digital and other direct marketing initiative, the Board is taking steps to provide a digital copy of our CCI Review that you can access online from our website. We will need at least one email address from our condominium corporations so that we can alert you when the publication is posted online. If you did not receive your copy of the first publication of 2019/2020 for any reason, you can find it here.
More on advertising opportunities will come soon.
We would consider it very helpful to know your thoughts on this plan of action, including your preferences. Please share your thoughts in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR ARTICLES/EVENTS ARE WELCOME
Inspiration from members of our condominium community assist us with developing articles and educational events so we can all understand the complexities of condominiums. Your suggestions are welcome always. You can send them to email@example.com anytime. We always appreciate hearing from you.
2020 GOLF TOURNAMENT
The 2020 Golf Tournament is scheduled for Monday, June 22nd. We hope you will put it on your calendar and join us for a day on the links. The forms for Player/Team and Sponsorship will be posted later.
QUESTIONS? or COMMENTS?
We love to hear from you.
On behalf of the CCI Board of Directors, we wish you a great 2020. We hope you enjoy and are safe for the remaining months of winter.
Trish Kaplan, (CCI Hon's)
CCI London and Area Chapter
P.O. Box 51022
1593 Adelaide Street North
Please note – the address above is located at a Canada Post outlet – a mailbox only. The Administrator is part-time and works from a home-based office. Please contact her by email (preferred) in advance to arrange for deliveries.